Breaking Open

I love to eat eggs for breakfast - eggs over-easy and rye toast - unquestionably one of my favorite meals.

I am thinking a lot about breaking through shells these days - my own. I am trying through some prayerful honesty to break through the hardness that seems to form over my heart and soul when it comes in contact with the world, and encourage the truth to get out.

I think we all probably adapt by necessity to be 'functional' as adults. I was a very soft kid - the type of kid that cried when other kids cried. Suffice to say that did not get me very far. I actually hated that amount of well, feeling. It was burdensome. And so I rejected that way of being and chose to be different.

I think I retained much of the essential empathy, but it is run through a social filter. What was unnatural in childhood - to choose a different way of being has become primary. Now I am primarily NOT feeling. But I believe God asks me to change that.

God asks us to be like children, to react instinctually with joy, love, even anger to what is good and lovely, or unrighteous.

It is like deconstructing an egg and trusting the gooey middle to stand on its own through faith.



No comments: